Are you looking for a good team-building day for your staff that is meaningful, practical and a healthy day out?
We are all about indigenous plants – growing them in our Bili Nursery and planting them at Westgate Park, creating an astounding, biodiverse habitat for what is now hundreds of other species – birds, insects, reptiles, frogs, fungi and much more.
And we like to work with people who want to make a difference to the environment.
Lila, PWC: We had a fantastic time. The day was so well organised by you and your staff. Looking forward to doing it again some day soon!
|Chris, IBM: It was fantastic – It’s great to be outdoors for once, getting our hands dirty in the soil and we learnt quite a bit about planting Initially arriving I saw all the little plants and thought – we’ll never get through that! And having done the three different bits of work –I look back upon it and it’s just amazing how much we’ve done.|
What we offer
- First-hand experience at Bili Nursery in growing and propagating indigenous plants; learning seed cleaning, taking and growing cuttings, pricking out seedlings, and more
- Structured tasks at Bili Landcare, Westgate Park in seed collecting, planting, mulching, and pruning
- Education along the way on the importance of indigenous plants, tapping into 30 years experience in gardening and propagation.
- A staff team leader
- Experienced volunteers working alongside
- Weekday volunteering
- Team-building activities like terrarium and ‘native bee hotel’ making
- Morning tea and drinks throughout the day
- Guided tours and a chance to buy indigenous plants not available elsewhere
- A handout covering date and time, where to meet, what to bring and wear and the day’s tasks.
We can accommodate large and small teams and tailor work to suit any age group and level of ability. (Moving mulch in the park is a good physical workout whereas most work in the nursery is more gentle exercise.)
Register, ask a question
[gravityform id=”11″ title=”true” description=”false”
Call 0492 972 652 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Where to come – our two sites
- Bili Landcare at Westgate Park
We will meet you at the main car park off Todd Road between Cook Street and the Herald Weekly Times in Port Melbourne – Melway Map 56 F1. The 235 bus stops at the park entry at the end of Wharf Road.
- Bili Nursery at 525 Williamstown Road, Port Melbourne
Parking is generally available in Williamstown Road. The 109 tram and the 235 bus stop close by. Come in the entry between the Port Melbourne Football oval and then Australia Post Business Hub and the nursery is straight ahead.
Work at the park and in the nursery is mostly outdoors so staff should dress for the forecast weather, wear sturdy and enclosed shoes and, if they wish, bring gardening gloves.
We supply plants, equipment – tools, wheelbarrows etc. – and all materials required.
Options for lunch:
- BYO (the Park’s BBQ could be used)
- Eat at a nearby cafe
We suggest a 9.15am start and finish around 3.15pm but we can be flexible.
The program begins with a comprehensive introduction, explain the tasks and give a detailed OH&S briefing. Working safely is very important to us and we emphasise this to all participants before we start work.
We can divide into teams and rotate through different tasks, usually three. Each team leader will start with a comprehensive demonstration and cover OH&S for that task.
We finish the day with a debrief and admire our achievements!
What does it cost?
We receive grants for projects and sell some of our plants but we receive no on-going government funding and, although most of us are volunteers, we do employ well-qualified staff to supervise and assist.
So, we ask that you cover the costs of the day and perhaps add some so we can do more of this work!